Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Do not dwell in the past


Do not dwell in the past,
do not dream of the future,
concentrate the mind on the present moment. 
Buddha



I'm back from the long weekend. And my mind has been anxious. Becuase I am in college, my thoughts have been focused on the future. What career do I want? What type of family do I need? What kind of husband would I love to have? Everything in my mind seems to be focused on the future.

But when I lay in my bed at nights, I think of the past. I think of the friends I have had, the experiences I  have been blessed with. I think of my family back at home. I think of my cousins, my recent pets, my home. Everything seems to come rushing back when I think about the past.

But that leaves no time to focus on the here and now. I was recently told that I need to focus more on the here and now. I am not saying to forget about the past and the futre, but make today your present. Make today happen. Right this moment take control. Right this moment, take in your surroundings, take in the smells, the sounds, the feelings. You are living, brething, right now. You are a gift from a Hevenly Father who loves you. You are His greatest creation. And you have been blessed to live right now at this very moment.

The photo I drew above says live to die. This can be interpretated in many different ways, but how I interpret it is live to be remembered. You can't do that if all you are thinking about is what you wil be doing tomorrow or what you did in the past. Live today.

Love, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment